Saturday, April 10, 2010

New Stuff & Some Thoughts on Pricing

Well, I finally got around to listing the new earrings I made about a week ago. I'm happy with how both pairs came out, but I really love the amethyst color ones - lots of Bali silver! Just click the pics to view the listings. :)

Teal & Blue Zircon Swarovski Teardrops


Amethyst Czech Glass & Swarovski Crystal

I have to admit I down-priced the amethyst color ones just a little bit because, well, I'd like to actually make some sales! They still may seem high to some people, including other sellers, but I really have put a lot of work into my pricing formula and I'm trying to cover all of my expenses as well as hopefully make some kind of living. 

I also believe that undervaluing your handmade items has the potential to negatively affect everyone in the long run. I'm not talking about knocking prices down a little sometimes or pricing fairly for your market [I'd hope we're all trying to do that!]. I mean things like only looking to recoup materials costs, or underpricing only because you want to outsell other shops. In those cases you certainly sell yourself short, you potentially establish yourself as unfair competition to artists and sellers who are trying to make a living, and I think it sends a negative message to buyers as well. They come to expect very low prices, and although I'm definitely no fan of exorbitant prices, I really feel that cheap isn't what handmade is all about. I'd personally like to see cheap reserved for the mass marketed items sold by large commercial enterprises. Artisan crafted items and supplies sold by independent shops should carry with them a more personal aspect, with value placed on and given to artistry, creativity, effort, time, and customer care.

Just some things to think about maybe. I found a very helpful site some time ago, which you may be interested in. It's geared particularly toward jewelry-makers who sell independently, and the site has a whole page of links to articles related to Pricing Your Jewelry. There are helpful suggestions for creating your own pricing formula and how to charge for your creating time, and there are some thoughts about pricing handmade jewelry too low. Please feel free to leave comments with your own feelings, it's always best when we can learn from each other. I hope everyone has a great weekend!

6 comments:

PeculiarForest said...

Love the earrings, pricing is always tough but I agree you should definitely not under sell yourself. I think everyone struggles with pricing. Off to check out the links! :)

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Wow - such pretty earrings! Especially love the second pair with such glorious colors!!! :) Theresa

Kim said...

Thank you both about the earrings! :) It took me a while to get to making any - have my dad to thank for getting me on that, actually. Silly, I don't wear them any more so I wasn't even considering it, but they're fun to make. Pricing is definitely one of the most annoying things about the whole selling process for me, along w/ trying to get decent pics!

sassyglassdesigns said...

Very pretty...love the purple ones.

Kim said...

Thank you so much, sassy! :D

Vee* said...

i love both and think they are some of the prettiest items in your shop! i agree with you on pricing and it is hard.. however, as i have pointed out to you with other shops selling A LOT of items (1,000s in some cases) that are WAY over priced it makes me think that we just have to work on drawing business in.. etc. not just in price....

Post a Comment

I love comments, please leave 'em! :)

My Dear Readers