Thursday, March 18, 2010

My Little Village

After my post mentioning the Five Combines yesterday, and hearing from my parents that our village is two centuries old this year, I decided to do a little research into Hudson Falls, NY. This may only be interesting if you're local or like history, but I'm posting it because you never know! The area began with the building of a sawmill in 1764, and as early as 1792 it was being called Sandy Hill. 1810 saw the incorporation of the hamlet into a village, and in 1910 the village became Hudson Falls. This settled some confusion for me, because I was certain our area just turned 100 years old, not 200. Kind of neat that we get to celebrate two centennials in one!

Celebrations here are in the form of Sandy Hill Days, during which local bands play, rides and games are available in my old elementary school field, and an arts and crafts fair is held in the town center at Juckett Park. I just found a beautiful photo of the park from a local photographer on deviantART, and I'm hoping she'll be okay with me posting it here. There was a link for downloading, so I decided to post first and then contact her so she can take a look at how it's being used before she makes her decision. Hope you don't mind fg38, but please let me know it you do! :)

Juckett Park in Winter 
by funygirl38


And because I love old maps, here's one from Old Maps.
Sandy Hill c.1884


I think I've mentioned before that this is a small area, and I've discovered the population to have been recorded at 6,927 as of the 2000 census. It will be interesting to see where we're at once the numbers are calculated for this year's census - filling out my own form today!

We have a neat little area historically, so if you're interested in that kind of thing, you might want to read more about the history of Upstate NY  or check out some notable residents of Washington County. We also have a lot of people involved in the various arts here, including famous poet William Bronk and writer Michael Kaye [that would be my dad!]. And that ends this one - I hope I didn't bore you too much, and that you have a great day! :)

10 comments:

littlecherryhill said...

Oh how I wish I lived somewhere like you do! I am in boring suburbia with no history lol and nothing to do unless you like to shop. I like places with history :)

Kim said...

Oh man, that would drive me crazy I think! We really are lucky to be in such a beautiful area & I love places w/ history too. If you know The Last of the Mohicans at all, I live pretty much on top of the area where the story was set. Jane McCrae is buried in my local cemetary & they think her story may have inspired parts of the book. Kinda neat. :)

Arctida said...

Great post! I love reading about different places history! :)

Kim said...

Thanks so much, I'm glad you enjoyed it! It was really fun looking up all this stuff I wouldn't normally - even found my house on that old map. I knew it was an older one, but I never realized it was quite that old! Just grabbed the button from your blog to put on my new My Favorites page here. :D

littlecherryhill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
littlecherryhill said...

Soz bout that deleted post.

Yes I know the last of the mohicans. How kewl to be living near there! Blah I hate suburbia....

Linda said...

Looking at your tabs. Thanks for the offer of help. Not sure when I'll get started - I feel the need to bead, first.

Linda B.

Kim said...

Hi Linda! Priorities are priorities, after all, and beading is certainly one of them! :D

Vee* said...

First of all OH MY GOD I AM IN LOVE WITH THE BANNER YOU LINKED TO ME!! I swear you AMAZE ME!
Secondly, um.. i forgot still focusing on the banner..
i totaly forgot everything else i was going to say.....

Kim said...

Hahaha, you are so cute! I'm so glad you like it! I had fun making it, love doing that stuff. :D

Post a Comment

I love comments, please leave 'em! :)

My Dear Readers