Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Earthquake in Chile

Just woke up to the news on CNN of a huge earthquake that struck near Concepción, Chile earlier this morning. According to the USGS, the earthquake was recorded at a magnitude of 8.8 at 3:34 local time, which is 1:34 EST. Concepción is Chile's second-largest city, and is located a little over 200 miles from the capitol of Santiago. The news is of course in the process of being updated by the moment, but so far there have been 6 fatalities reported and a 9-foot tsunami wave has been recorded by The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.

According to the USGS, the same area experienced a 9.5 magnitude earthquake in 1960, the largest earthquake ever recorded. I think the largest one I ever experienced was a little above a 6, and my husband went through the 6.7 magnitude 1994 Northridge, California earthquake on his birthday. I can't even begin to imagine an 8.8. I know Chile does have earthquake safe buildings, but not all of them would be, and I believe an earthquake of that magnitude is larger than most buildings are meant to withstand.

My thoughts are with the people of Chile.

1 comment:

kwkmjk said...

Such a massive quake...poor folks there, and cannot forget the people of Haiti still suffering also. We are so fortunate to be safe and loved in this world when so many are not.

Glad to see you have been able to post despite your own computer's demise. Know its frustrating, and it will take some time to get back to some kind of "computer normalcy", but sure you will soon.

Can't wait to see the new creations.

Post a Comment

I love comments, please leave 'em! :)

My Dear Readers