Thursday, January 14, 2010

Haiti Earthquake Relief - Doctors Without Borders

News of the Haiti earthquake is everywhere these last couple of days, and my husband and I just made a donation to one of my favorite organizations, Doctors Without Borders. From their website,

"Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international medical humanitarian organization working in more than 60 countries to assist people whose survival is threatened by violence, neglect, or catastrophe... MSF's work is based on the humanitarian principles of medical ethics and impartiality... MSF operates independently of any political, military, or religious agendas."

The organization has won the Nobel Peace Prize for its work, and one of the things I love about them is their committment to remain neutral. This neutrality can in no way be interpreted as indifference - two very different outlooks which are unfortunately often confused. MSF works to alert the public to crises and abuses which occur "beyond the headlines, to criticize the inadequacies of the aid system, or to challenge the diversion of humanitarian aid for political interests.".

In short, this is a great organization of people who put their lives in danger to help those in dire need of medical assistance, and I think they're a group worthy of attention and support. If you only have a couple of dollars to give to help them with their current efforts in Haiti, they accept donations of any size. And a "little" something I noticed when I filled in the donation form - their dropdown menu for choosing your title includes the options of "Mr. & Mr." and "Ms. & Ms.". I knew I loved them!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

MSF is a great organization and well deserve your support. Just heard last night that Brad & Angelina also selected them for their Haiti relief donation.
We have also donated for Haiti relief..we chose the Red Cross.
There are many worthy avenues to help to this devastated country, I hope everyone will try to donate something or somehow. They so need the world community's support.

KSK said...

Good morning! I hope so too. People on Etsy have responded as usual - they're organizing silent auctions and so many people are donating proceeds from their own sales. A bunch of us together can make a difference.

Post a Comment

I love comments, please leave 'em! :)

My Dear Readers