Thursday, November 12, 2009

Planned Black Silver Project

I just received some beautiful deep red garnet beads for a necklace I'm planning using Thai Karen Hill Tribe fine [.999] and sterling [.925] black silver. I'm excited about this one, as I expect it to have a nice goth-y look. My plan is to use all black silver, but I may end up throwing in some "white" silver for a contrast if I think it's needed. It may be an absolute disaster, but in my head it looks awesome.

This is the first necklace in a very long time for which I'm ordering particular components vs. using what I already have on hand [which, truth be told, is quite a lot!]. The worst part is the waiting, especially since my materials are being shipped from Thailand and could take up to 4 weeks to get to me. I'm sure it will be worth it, though - I'm very partial to fine Hill Tribe silver, and the oxidized silver that the Karen Tribe produces has a beautiful blue tint in the light. I'm hoping to do my own experimenting with the oxidation process using Liver of Sulfur in the near future, and one of my goals will be to replicate that amazing blue sheen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, please leave 'em! :)

My Dear Readers